The fall leaf collection program runs from the first week of November through the second week of January. Collecting leaves reduces potential accidents and injuries caused by slipping on wet leaves, and prevents catch basins (storm drains) from clogging and causing street flooding during heavy rains.
DPW will collect leaves at least twice from each residential neighborhood by “vacuuming” loose leaves residents rake into their treebox(es). Loose leaves will be sent for composting. In neighborhoods with alley trash/recycling collections, bagged leaves may be placed where trash and recycling are collected. These leaves will be collected with the trash as space in the truck permits. If you are bagging your leaves, please use paper bags.
DPW thanks residents for their patience with leaf and holiday tree collections, which may be affected by snow/ice events. The leaf collection crews are the backbone of the District’s snow removal force so when a snow or ice event is predicted they switch from leaf collections to snow fighting.
Holiday trees and greenery will be collected between December 26 and January 8 and will be composted. Trees and greenery collected after January 8 will be collected with the trash as space permits in the truck. Please remove ornaments, tinsel and other decorations and put the tree(s) and greenery where your trash and recycling are collected.
Just a reminder, apartment buildings with four or more units are required to provide their tenants with solid waste collections, including holiday trees.
How You Can Help
- Rake leaves into the treebox space the weekend before your street’s collection weeks.
- Please – leaves only! Tree limbs, bricks, dirt, rocks, etc., will damage the equipment and delay collections.
- Prevent fires, parking problems and possible flooding by placing leaves in the treebox space, not in the street. When it rains, leaves will block the storm drain and cause flooding.
- Holiday trees and greenery will be picked up between December 26 and January 8. Please do not put the trees in plastic or cloth bags. Trees collected between December 26 and January 8 will be chipped and composted.
- Any trees not collected by January 8 will be picked up as space in the trash trucks allow over the following weeks.