(WASHINGTON, DC) - The DC Department of Public Works (DPW) announced today that the agency will resume its vacuum leaf program when it begins its 2020 leaf collection campaign on Monday, November 9. When the leaf collection campaign was launched, District households serviced by DPW were asked to rake leaves into paper bags. Paper bags are no longer required for collection. Starting today, residents are asked to rake their leaves, for collection, to the curb or into the tree box at the front of the residence. To help ease the vacuum process, residents are also asked to keep vehicles away from the curb lanes on scheduled collection days
The bagged leaf collection program was intended to minimize collection crews’ exposure to COVID-19 and encourage composting. Resuming the vacuum collection program will help simplify composting operations and maximize employment opportunities. To continue to ensure our crews’ safety, they will be required to wear masks, practice social distancing and hand wash and hand sanitize frequently. Vehicles and equipment will be cleaned and sanitized before and after every use. Additional vehicles will also be used to shuttle crews to ensure social distance compliance.
Residents who may have already received the District-provided paper bags should keep them and use them for yard waste or other needs. Residents who choose to bag their leaves are reminded that they will be collected on their scheduled leaf collection day.
Collections will still occur twice in each neighborhood, this year between November 9, 2020 and January 30, 2021. DPW collections schedules will remain the same. Schedules and frequently asked questions can be found at https://dpw.dc.gov/service/leaf-collection.
Tips for Preparing Leaves for Leaf Vacuum
- Check the DPW website to confirm your area’s leaf collection dates;
- Move vehicles from curb lanes to help ease the leaf vacuum collection process;
- Rake leaves to the curbside or tree box at the front of the residence the Sunday before the scheduled leaf collection date;
- Remove all cans, bottles, sticks, toys and debris from your piles of leaves. These items can damage equipment and prevent safe and proper collection;
- Download MyDPW app to receive customized alerts about leaf collection in your neighborhood;
- Call 311 (202-737-4404) or visit 311.dc.gov to open a “Leaf Season Collection” service request, but please wait until the last day of the designated collection in your neighborhood.