In additional to the regular fueling, maintenance and repair of more than 3,000 of our own vehicles, the Fleet Management Administration (FMA) helps District residents by providing a list of tips and tricks for maintaining, repairing and saving on gas consumption of private vehicles.
DC residents can also help keep our air cleaner and safer when operating your vehicle by following these simple fuel conservation tips:
- Don’t top off your gas tank when refueling.
- Make sure the gas cap is fitted properly.
- Eliminate unnecessary idling time.
- Do not exceed the speed limit.
- Accelerate smoothly.
- Avoid quick starts and sudden stops.
- Use air conditioning only when necessary.
- Carpool with others whenever possible.
- Keep tires properly inflated.
- Avoid transporting excess weight.
- Promptly notify the service shop if your vehicle needs repair.
- Keep scheduled maintenance appointments.
- Get the necessary maintenance when the seasons change.