The District of Columbia Department of Public Works (DPW) is interested in evaluating the most beneficial integrated solid waste management disposition alternatives for the next 25 years. The changes in disposal technologies, population, stakeholder preferences and existing agreements the District has for disposal provide an excellent point to evaluate the options to manage the District’s solid waste into the future. To that extent, DPW worked with international consultant firm ARCADIS/Malcolm to determine the baseline conditions of the current solid waste stream and project future generation. The results of this study may provide a basis for future solid waste management planning.
- Presents the results of a composition analysis of waste delivered to the DCDPW transfer stations.
- Estimates the current and projected residential waste generation rates (lbs/cap/day).
- Projects waste generation projections over a 25 year planning horizon.
- Identifies potential opportunities for improvements of the District’s solid waste disposal program.
- Provides an overview of innovative or alternative disposal technologies reported as currently available in the marketplace to DCDPW.