Residential operations including bulk, trash, and recycling drop-off will take place at the Benning Road Transfer Station. The Fort Totten Transfer Station will be closed for drop-offs until Fall 2022. Operations will be moved to the Benning Road Transfer Station located at 3200 Benning Road, NE starting April 6, 10 am – 2 pm, Wednesday – Friday.
Residents can still contact 311 to schedule a bulk pick up.
DPW collects large, bulky items by appointment from residential households that receive DPW trash collection service. These households include single-family homes and residential buildings with three or fewer living units. Apartment buildings with four or more units, condominiums, co-ops and other commercial properties must have their bulk items removed by a private, licensed hauler. Find a list of registered recycling haulers in the Commercial Recycling Guide
Limits on Bulk Collections
Bulk items are picked up at the same place you set out your regular trash. Up to seven items may be collected at one time. Customers with more than seven items may request additional appointments.
Making an Appointment Quickly
Call the Mayor's Citywide Call Center at 311 to make an appointment, which is usually available within 10 to 14 days of your call. You can also visit www.311.dc.gov to make an appointment or download the mobile app now available on the Google Play and Apple App Store.
Where to Take Bulk Items Without an Appointment
Take bulk, trash and recycling items to the Benning Road Transfer Station, 3200 Benning Rd., NE. The entrance to the facility is at the intersection of Benning Road and Anacostia Avenue NE, at the Kenilworth Maintenance Yard signage.
Please be sure to have identification such as a driver’s license with you to prove you are a District resident. If you don’t have a DC driver’s license, please have photo ID issued by another state plus a current utilities bill (within the last 30 days) or a copy of your residential lease or deed. The names on the photo ID and the utility bill or lease/deed must be the same.
Acceptable Bulk Items
- Air conditioners (drain water and fluids)
- Hot water heaters
- Household furniture
- Large toys (kiddie pools, playhouses, disassembled swing sets)
- Major appliances, e.g., refrigerators (doors removed)
- Mattresses and box springs (MUST be wrapped in plastic), bed frames
- Rugs (MUST be rolled and tied)
Unacceptable Bulk Items
- Books – Place in recycling cart for DPW collection.
- Ceiling tile*
- Construction Materials*
- Demolition materials*
- Hazardous and/or liquid waste (list of household hazardous waste items for monthly HHW/E-cycling/Document Shredding drop-off at Benning Rd Transfer Station)
- Household trash or garbage – Place in trash can for DPW collection.
- Small tree limbs – Tie and place with regular trash.
- Tree stumps
- Tires -- Up to four tires may be taken to the Benning Road Transfer Station, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 10 am to 2 pm ONLY.
* Note: Renovation materials, such as bricks, concrete, ceiling tiles, construction and demolition materials, and dirt are not accepted at the Benning Road Transfer Station or for bulk collections from residences. Please visit buildersrecyclingguide.com for a list of construction and demolition companies that may haul these items.
Residents also may drop off a small number of bulk trash and household recycling items at the Benning Road Transfer Station located at 3200 Benning Road, NE, on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 am to 2 pm ONLY. On Saturdays from 7 am to 2 pm the Benning Road Transfer Station accepts household hazardous waste and electronic waste ONLY -NO BULK OR TRASH.
The first Saturday of every month, the Benning Road Transfer Station accepts up to 5 boxes of personal documents for document shredding, from 7am to 2pm and on the last Thursday of the month, from 10am to 2pm. The transfer station is closed Monday, Tuesday, Sunday, and on holidays. Up to four tires may be brought to the Benning Road Transfer Station ONLY, for disposal.
How You Can Help
- Call 311 to set up an appointment before putting your bulk items out for collection.
- Put your bulk items out no earlier than 6:30 pm the day before and no later than 6 am on the day they are to be collected. Place them where your trash and recycling are collected. You could receive a sanitation violation ticket if these items are in the public space at any time other than your collection appointment.
- Remember, no more than seven items will be collected per appointment.