DPW collects large, bulky items by appointment from residential households that receive DPW trash collection service. These households include single-family homes and residential buildings with three or fewer living units. Apartment buildings with four or more units, condominiums, co-ops and other commercial properties must have their bulk items removed by a private, licensed hauler. Find a list of registered recycling haulers in the Commercial Recycling Guide
Limits on Bulk Collections
Bulk items are picked up at the same place you set out your regular trash. Up to seven items may be collected at one time. Customers with more than seven items may request additional appointments.
Making an Appointment Quickly
Call the Mayor's Citywide Call Center at 311 to make an appointment, which is usually available within 10 to 14 days of your call. You can also visit www.311.dc.gov to make an appointment or download the mobile app now available on the Google Play and Apple App Store.
Where to Take Bulk Items Without an Appointment
Take bulk items to Ft. Totten Transfer Station, 4900 John F. McCormack Drive, NE. Directions to Ft. Totten: Travel east on Irving Street, NW, turn left on Michigan Avenue, turn left on John F. McCormack Drive, NE and continue to the end of the street.
Acceptable Bulk Items
- Air conditioners (drain water and fluids)
- Hot water heaters
- Household furniture
- Large toys (kiddie pools, playhouses, disassembled swing sets)
- Major appliances, e.g., refrigerators (doors removed)
- Mattresses and box springs (MUST be wrapped in plastic), bed frames
- Rugs (MUST be rolled and tied)
Unacceptable Bulk Items
- Books – Place in recycling cart for DPW collection.
- Ceiling tile*
- Construction Materials*
- Demolition materials*
- Hazardous and/or liquid waste (list of household hazardous waste items for monthly HHW/E-cycling/Document Shredding drop-off at Ft. Totten Transfer Station)
- Household trash or garbage – Place in trash can for DPW collection.
- Small tree limbs – Tie and place with regular trash.
- Tree stumps
- Tires -- Up to four tires may be taken to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station, weekdays from 1 pm to 5 pm and every first Saturday between 8 am and 3 pm.
* Note: Renovation materials, such as bricks, concrete, ceiling tiles, construction and demolition materials, and dirt are not accepted at the Ft. Totten Transfer Station or for bulk collections from residences. Please visit buildersrecyclingguide.com for a list of construction and demolition companies that may haul these items.
Residents also may drop off a small number of bulk items at the Ft. Totten Transfer Station at 4900 John F. McCormack Road, NE, weekdays from 1 pm to 5 pm and Saturdays from 8 am to 3 pm. The transfer station is closed on holidays. Up to four tires may be brought to Ft. Totten only for disposal.
How You Can Help
- Call 311 to set up an appointment before putting your bulk items out for collection.
- Put your bulk items out no earlier than 6:30 pm the day before and no later than 6 am on the day they are to be collected. Place them where your trash and recycling are collected. You could receive a sanitation violation ticket if these items are in the public space at any time other than your collection appointment.
- Remember, no more than seven items will be collected per appointment.