Hours of Operation for Residents' Use
(Businesses MUST use a commercial hauler.)
Solid Waste Disposal Drop-off
Tues – Fri: 10 am – 2 pm
Sat: 7 am – 2 pm
*Please be sure to have identification such as a driver’s license with you to prove you are a District resident. If you don’t have a DC driver’s license, please have photo ID issued by another state plus a current utilities bill (within the last 30 days) or a copy of your residential lease or deed. The names on the photo ID and the utility bill or lease/deed must be the same.
Where to Take Bulk Items Without an Appointment
Take bulk, trash and recycling items to the Fort Totten Transfer Station, 4900 John McCormack Rd NE.
Free Compost Available to Residents
The Department of Public Works will allow District residents to fill up to five 32-gallon bags (bring your own bags and shovel) of free compost Tuesday - Friday 10A - 2P and Saturday 7A - 2P, at the Fort Totten Transfer Station, 4900 John McCormack Rd NE.
Acceptable Materials List
• Air conditioners (drain water and fluids)
• Hot water heaters
• Household furniture
• Large toys (kiddie pools, playhouses, disassembled swing sets)
• Major appliances, (refrigerators, washers and dryers, dishwashers, and stoves)
• Mattresses and box springs (does not have to be wrapped in plastic), bed frames
• Books – Place in recycling cart for DPW collection
• Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
• E-cycling (Computers, TV’s, or other electronics taken at HHW event)
• Document Shredding
• Food Waste
• Ceiling tile
• Construction and Demolition Materials (drywall, insulation, asbestos, sewage spillage & debris)
• Household trash or garbage – Place in trash can for DPW collection.
• Small tree limbs – Tie and place with regular trash.
• Roofing Material (shingles, flat Tar, etc.)
• Concrete, Asphalt, rocks, gravel, or other aggregates.
• Automotive parts
• Animal Carcasses
• Explosive material
• Out-of-State/City Waste
• Creosote Treated Lumber
• Metal or Plastic Drums
• Ammunition and or Explosives
• Friable Asbestos/Asbestos Rock
• Hazardous Waste Incinerator Residue Ash
• Medical Waste Offal/Dead Animals (loose/unbagged) Out-of-State Waste
• Petroleum products
• Contaminated Soil Radioactive Material Sludge
• Solid Sewage/Manure Somat/Pulverized Paper Storage Tanks
• Tree Stumps/Sawdust
• Shopping carts
• Motorized riding devices (scooters, motorized shopping carts, motorized wheelchairs, children’s battery-operated riding toys)
Other Special Waste Disposal Options
Household hazardous waste, unwanted electronic equipment, and documents to be shredded are collected on one Thursday and one Saturday each month, at RFK Stadium Lot 3, 2400 E Capitol St NE through March 2024. See the schedule here.
To find additional ways to dispose of or recycle residential special waste, please visit our Zero Waste DC website by clicking here.