The Department of Public Works makes it easy for residents to dispose properly of solid waste, household hazardous waste, unwanted electronic equipment and provides personal document shredding at the Ft. Totten Transfer Station.
Effective Monday, October 4, 2021, Fort Totten transfer station will have new residential drop-off hours. Citizen’s drop-off will be available Monday through Friday from 10 am until 2 pm, and Saturday from 7 am until 2 pm.
Beginning October 9, 2021, residents will be able to drop off their household hazardous waste and electronics recycling every Saturday from 7 am until 2 pm at the Benning Road Transfer Station, located at 3200 Benning Road, NE, Washington, DC, 20019. During this change, the Fort Totten Transfer Station will not accept hazardous household items.
Document shredding will occur the first Saturday of every month at the Benning Road Transfer Station ONLY, from 7 am until 2 pm, beginning November 6, 2021
Hours of Operation for Residents' Use
(Businesses MUST use a commercial hauler.)
Solid Waste Disposal Drop-off
Mon – Fri: 10 am – 2 pm
Sat: 7 am – 2 pm
*As of close of business today, September 24, 2021, no private haulers will be permitted to bring in bulk until further notice. We anticipate having an update for private haulers in two (2) weeks. Inbound hours for private haulers will end at 3:00 p.m., not 4:00 p.m., M-F.
*Starting August 13, 2018, construction on the Metropolitan Branch Trail will limit traffic flow at the Fort Totten Transfer Station to one lane for entering the facility and one lane for exiting the facility. As a result, residents and commercial vehicles should expect longer wait times.
*Please be sure to have identification such as a driver’s license with you to prove you are a District resident. If you don’t have a DC driver’s license, please have photo ID issued by another state plus a current utilities bill (within the last 30 days) or a copy of your residential lease or deed. The names on the photo ID and the utility bill or lease/deed must be the same.
Free Compost Available to Residents
The Department of Public Works will allow District residents to fill up to five 32-gallon bags (bring your own bags and shovel) of free compost weekdays, 10 am to 2 pm, and Saturdays 7 am to 2 pm, at the Ft. Totten Transfer Station, 4900 John F. McCormack Drive, NE.
Directions to Ft. Totten from Key Locations in each Quadrant
NW: Military Road, NW and 16th Street, NW
1. Go east on Military Road, NW which becomes Missouri Avenue, NW after 13th Street, NW
2. Stay on Missouri Avenue in right lane and cross Georgia Avenue, NW
3. Remain in right lane, after crossing New Hampshire Avenue, NW turn right onto N. Capitol Street
4. Get in next lane over to the left, go through light at Allison Street, NW and travel south on N. Capitol Street
5. Make a left turn at Fort Drive, NE which becomes Taylor Street, NE
6. Stay on Taylor Street, in right lane. After passing Hawaii Avenue, NE but do not continue over the bridge, take the right ramp to stop sign at John F. McCormack Drive, NE
7. Make a left on John F. McCormack Drive and continue to the end of the street, which is at the entrance to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station
NE: Rhode Island Avenue, NE and South Dakota Avenue, NE
1. Head northeast on South Dakota Avenue, NE
2. Turn left on Taylor Street, NE
3. Stay in right lane as you cross the bridge
4. Take the right ramp and turn left onto John F. McCormack Road, NE
5. Continue on John F. McCormack Road to the end, which is the entrance to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station
SW: 7th Street, SW and I Street, SW
1. Head east on I Street, SW
2. Take the first left toward 7th Street
3. Continue straight onto 7th Street
4. Turn right onto K Street, NW
5. Turn left onto N. Capitol Street, NE
6. Slight left to stay on N. Capitol Street
7. Turn right onto Michigan Avenue, NE
8. Turn Left onto John F. McCormack Road, NE
9. Continue on John F. McCormack Road to the end, which is the entrance to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station
SE: Alabama Avenue, SE and Good Hope Road, SE
1. Head northwest on Good Hope Road, SE toward Naylor Road, SE
2. Turn slight right onto Naylor Road, SE
3. Turn right onto Minnesota Avenue, SE
4. Turn left onto Pennsylvania Avenue, SE
5. Slight left to stay on Pennsylvania Avenue
6. Turn right onto 2nd Street, SE
7. Turn left onto Massachusetts Avenue, NE
8. Slight right onto Columbus Circle, NE
9. Continue onto Massachusetts Avenue
10. Turn right onto N. Capitol Street, NE
11. Slight left to stay on N. Capitol Street
12. Turn right onto Michigan Avenue, NE
13. Turn left onto John F. McCormack Road, NE
14. Continue on John F. McCormack Road to the end, which is the entrance to the Ft. Totten Transfer Station
Other Special Waste Disposal Options
To find additional ways to dispose or recycle residential special waste, please visit our Zero Waste DC website by clicking here.