Before disposing of your excess prescription drugs and medications, consult the guidelines provided below to help DPW to safely dispose of them in the District of Columbia.
How You Can Help
- Take unused, unneeded or expired prescription drugs out of their original containers.
- Mix the prescription drugs with an undesirable substance, like used coffee grounds or kitty litter and put them in impermeable, non-descript containers, such as empty cans or sealable bags, further ensuring that the drugs are not diverted or accidentally ingested by children or pets.
- Throw these containers in the trash or recycling cart.
- Flush prescription drugs down the toilet only if the accompanying patient information specifically instructs it is safe to do so.
- Return unused, unneeded or expired prescription drugs to pharmaceutical take-back locations that allow the public to bring unused drugs to a central location for safe disposal.